April 22, 2008

Boston Marathon (non-race report)

So this is labeled as a "non-race report" as I will not get into the nitty gritty details of the race, but the above is a snapshot of the results page. The race was good, it obviously was not my "A-race" for the year (Ironman Wisconsin is in September...)

I had an initial goal of breaking 2:50 there, but sometimes things don't go as planned and you come thru the half point faster than you have EVER ran in your life for a half, and you think to yourself, "I'm either going to have a breakthrough race, or I'm in for a WORLD of pain"... this time around I was in for the world of pain and the last 5k was really rough. (also the same time that the Lance Armstrong freight train BLEW by me...)

Now I'm not saying that I'm not pleased that I ran a 2:53! I'm EXTREMELY pleased that I ran that quickly at such a hard and prestigious course, I just know that looking back on things, if I had held back in the early miles, things might have been different at the finish. Rookie mistake and I'll know better for next time! :o) I'm stoked at the result and it was a nice 2 minute PR from Philly.

Thank you to everyone who wished me well in the days/hours leading up to the race and for everyone that was checking up on me throughout the day online and at the race site! (you know who you are!!! Thanks so much!) It definitely carried me thru the last few miles. I'll get a proper race report up here soon, but until then thank you again to everyone and I'll see you out on the roads and in the pool. I'm on to drink a victory beer. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job man. Lance probably only passed you because you spent too much time hangin' out at Wellesley. I'm sure he breezed right on by since they might be too old for him. An Olson twin? Come on Lance.

See you for burgers and beer tonight buddy.